Sunday, August 12, 2012

Just Say NO


I have a hard time with this word. For some reason I have a hard time saying NO and therefore get myself into more commitments than I have time for. I have a really overwhelming way of thinking I can do everything (superwoman syndrome) and still take care of myself. 

Well, I'm trying to give it up, because I can't do everything. The latest incident happened yesterday. I made plans to go to this conference in NYC because it would be a good networking opportunity and it is an extension of the business coaching program I'm currently in. Awesome. What I didn't consider would be that I was exhausted from the week. 

First I planned to go up to my sister's in the city to stay overnight so that I could just wake up and go. Then I decided since it started so early I should just drive in Saturday morning (at 6:30 am) because there wouldn't be any traffic and I wouldn't spend as much time getting there as if I were to drive to the train, take the train, take a subway and walk to my sister's apartment. Then by the time it was time to go to sleep, I was like 'there is no way I can wake up at 6 am, drive there, and sit there for 5 hours, and drive back.'

So I didn't. Instead I had the best most relaxing Saturday EVER! It was rainy so I didn't feel any pressure to get out of bed. I woke up and read for 3 hours!!!! So amazing! Then my sister and I sat on my porch just talking and listening to the rain. Then we went for a run and out to lunch. Then I went home and got back into bed to read and ended up taking a 2 hour nap. 

I seriously needed that. Bad. Yesterday made me realize that I need my weekends. I need to not have any work commitments for 2 days out of the week unless it is absolutely necessary. Sometimes it will be, but most of the time it's stuff that I just don't need to do. 

So my goal is to just say no to working on the weekends! Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...