Thursday, September 13, 2012

FINALLY! I got food out of my garden


It is September 13th. The garden just started pumping out food that I can cook with. (I officially picked enough cucumbers to make 4 gallons of pickles.) Hopefully it does't get much colder and kill everything that I am hoping to gather. Today I got a bunch of tomatoes (some ripe some not), an eggplant, peppers, hot peppers, more cucumbers, and zucchini. I also have a giant amount of fresh herbs I need to start using.

There are plenty more eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes that should be ready in about a week. We also have 1 watermelon and 2 cantaloupe melons that I guess I'll have to pick soon. The one watermelon I picked last week wasn't close to being ripe enough. We'll see in a week!

So in honor of the "harvest" I made the 1st giant pot of sauce of the season. I fully plan on eating this until I'm utterly sick of it in about 2 weeks.


  • olive oil- a lot!
  • 6 lg. tomatoes
  • 2 zucchini
  • 1 eggplant
  • 1 onion
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 6 hot peppers (this may be too much if you don't like spicy)
  • basil, thyme, rosemary, sage
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • sugar to taste
Cut everything up, put in giant pot, simmer for at least an hour, season, and eat!!! The great thing about sauce is that you can make it with anything or everything. I don't think there has been a time that my sauce came out the same twice in a row. And don't be afraid to load up the olive oil. It is a healthy fat that helps your body assimilate the nutrients in the sauce. Hope this inspires you to get in the kitch!

I may not be Italian, but I make a mean sauce :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...