Since I got back, I've been trying to use our veggies from the garden. Over the weekend I made a delicious soup with Swiss chard from the garden. I was a little nervous because I don't usually start soup with water, but I didn't have any chicken to make stock with or any veggie stock, so water it was!
- 3 cans cannelloni beans
- 1 lg bunch Swiss chard
- 5 links pre-cooked sausage
- 2 lg sweet onions
- 3/4 stock pot of water
- 6 cloves chopped garlic
- dried herbs: thyme, sage, garlic, white pepper, sea salt, rosemary, thyme
- fill pot w/ water, chopped onions, garlic, all herbs, chopped sausage.
- bring to boil for 30 minutes
- add beans, simmer for 2 hours
- add Swiss chard, simmer for final 30 minutes
It took longer than I thought because I started with water. It takes a while for all of the flavors to meld together, but it's worth it if you have the time. If not, use prepared stock. I also cooked egg noodles and added them into the individual bowls topped with Parmesan cheese. It was surprisingly amazing! That was the first time I cooked a soup like that, and got a few compliments from my mom and some friends that were staying over. (Patting myself on the back)
Next up! Either black bean chili or chicken soup!