Thursday, January 19, 2012

5 Ways: Oatmeal


There is nothing better on a cold morning than a warm bowl of oatmeal. Since I am naturally such a cold person (by cold I mean constantly freezing where my leg hairs grow back extra fast after I shave), it pains me to eat cold cereal during the winter. I don't eat the junky flavored kinds that are loaded with sugar and chemicals either...I make it myself with Irish or steel-cut oats which cook equally as fast.

Oatmeal is also great because you can literally make it like 1000 different ways. These are some of my favorites:

  1. almonds & shredded coconut
  2. bananas & crushed walnuts
  3. garamasala spice & raisins (or just plain cinnamon)
  4. apples, brown sugar, & pecans
  5. pumpkin puree & chopped Medjool dates
A quick word about Medjool dates. I like regular dates (you can buy them at most food stores) but last night I tried a Medjool date at my father's house and it was like a completely different experience. Medjool dates are softer and have a smoother texture...it was like a flavor explosion in my mouth! I just don't know why people eat the regular kind.

Anyway, back to oatmeal. It is a whole grain. It's quick. It's cheap. Eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...