This (according to my mom) is a super simple recipe. Somehow I screwed it up the first time, but I'm going to redeem myself here. It just kills me to spend an hour cooking something and have to throw it right in the garbage (it was that bad).
- 3 carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1 1/2 c. dried split green peas
- ham bone
- 2 cups cooked diced ham
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 3 cups of water
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- Chop onions.
- Put in pot w/ 1/4 stick butter. Saute until soft.
- Chop carrots. Cut carrots in 1/2 inch coins (don't cut the carrots too thin or they will disintegrate when cooked for an hour).
- In lg. pot add all ingredients.
- Boil for 10 minutes, then turn heat down to medium.
- Cover and let simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Stir every 20 minutes or so.
TIP: If by the end your peas have not disintegrated enough, bring it up to a boil and stir vigorously. This is super simple, but the key is the ham. It just makes it. I'm in heaven.