Wednesday, January 18, 2012

SPICE'n It Up


I have been delinquent in my food shopping, therefore lunch today was constructed with what little options I had in my kitchen. Surprising what a little spice can do.

I found brown rice, beans, and a sweet potato. So I made rice and beans with a sweet potato, haha. Luckily for me I have a fully stocked spice cabinet. If there is one thing you should spend your money on it's spices (besides fruits & vegetables).

The Jamaican curry, paprika, and cayenne pepper went into the rice and beans, and I sprinkled the garamasala on the sweet potato and topped with a drizzle of honey. If you have never heard of garamasala it's an Indian spice. This was actually the first time I've used it. I found it all the way in the back of my spice cabinet, unopened. This is literally my new favorite spice. It's a mixture of coriander, cumin, cloves, black pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and anise. I fully plan on utilizing this for a batch of cookies, in my banana bread, and on every sweet potato I ever eat again for the rest of my life. It's that good.


This is a great way to serve rice and beans. If you are afraid of curry because you have bad memories of smelly Indian places (sorry India), or you think it is too strong of a flavor, or you've just never used it before I highly recommend using a Jamaican curry. It's usually some combination of salt, turmeric, curry powder, coriander, chilli powder, fennel, cumin, black pepper, and garlic.

This combo makes a regular appearance on my dinner table and goes with chicken, fish, and steak (especially a skirt steak). Oh and by the way... if beans give you gas...combine them with cumin- it will help with digestion.


I have to go grocery shopping so I can cook up something to write about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...