Friday, January 13, 2012

5 Ways: Quiche


One of my goals this year is to complete my book. I started with the idea of writing a book a little over a year ago. Last year I spent a lot of time researching, cooking, and cleaning up what I ate. Throughout this process, the scope of what I want to turn into a book changed a few times because I wasn't satisfied. I always felt like my idea wasn't complete. Well nothing is ever really complete because everyday I learn something new, however, I feel now that I have a "mostly complete" idea.

In a nutshell, I am going to be putting together a step-by-step guide on how to de-junk your diet while still being able to eat very tasty, healthy, and seasonal food. It is about what to throw away, what to buy when, and how to make easy, relatively fast meals. Seasonal fruits and vegetables are the basis of this (and the newest addition) which is why I think it is so important to write a guide. How many of you can take butternut squash and turn it into 5 completely different tasting meals? How many of you know what to do with cranberries (besides cranberry sauce)? How many of you know why apples are so abundant in the fall? and why it is so important that we eat tons of them while they are ripe?

Working out weekly meal plans including mostly seasonal fruits and vegetables is what I am going to be working on, because fruits and vegetables are available at certain times of the year for a reason, and that is when we should be eating them- when they are in season. Plus it is cheaper to eat seasonally, and easier to eat locally because farmer's markets are becoming more and more popular.

So expect a lot of 5 Ways in the future.

This first one is quiche. This is just as easy as making an omelet, but tastier. The key is to either find a pie shell with healthy ingredients or make your own. Last weekend I had to make 3 of them for my BF's sister-in-law's baby shower so I bought some at Whole Foods.


Pre-made pie crusts should be made with real ingredients, unbleached flour (whole wheat would be best), and butter or palm shortening. If it is made with "vegetable shortening" it's no good- it's made with soy shortening.


Pie Crust (makes 2 shells or a shell w/ a top)

  • 2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 stick organic butter, room temp.
  • 1/2 cold water
  1. In food processor (or with a pastry blender or fork), put dry ingredients & butter.
  2. Slowly add in cold water until mix turns into a dough ball. Then stop even if you have water left over.
  3. TIP: wiping the counter top with a wet sponge will prevent the wax paper from slipping.
  4. Roll the dough in between flowered wax paper sheets. 
pastry blender
Making a quiche is simple...buy or make the shells, beat 8-9 eggs per shell, add the toppings to the eggs, fill shells, bake in 350 degree oven for 55 minutes. That's it!

Asparagus 


Spinach & Feta


The BF's Sun-dried Tomato & Eggplant


Broccoli & Cheddar
(source)
Goat Cheese & Artichoke
(Source)


What is your favorite quiche to make?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...