Friday, September 9, 2011

CHALLENGE Day #1- I'm Optimistic

That's not me if you are wondering.
So I usually have a very effective way of over-loading my self with all of these "projects" I want to do. Today is no exception because I have just launched myself into a year-long certification program, a month-long eating challenge, a 5-week-long workout challenge, and that's not including actual work. As I start the day at my trainer's gym getting weighed in for the first time in over a month... I remember why I need a trainer (if I didn't have someone that is going to charge me whether I am there or not, I wouldn't workout nearly as much- I hate wasting money!). While I was there I picked up all of my weigh-in sheets from him so I could analyze my progress over the last 11 months.
OCTOBER 2010
When I started last October (2010) the machine (think robot voice) told me I had 23.6 lbs to lose, and zero muscle mass to gain. At my weigh-in this morning the machine told me I had 15.9 lbs to lose, and zero muscle mass to gain. Woohooo!!! That means I lost 7.7 lbs of PURE FAT!

SEPTEMBER 2011
Now over the past 11 months I have not been consistently loosing weight. I would loose a few pounds then put on a few, then loose a few more then put on a couple more. This is the progression of weight that the machine has told me I need to lose: 23.6, 18.7, 19.2, 21.8, 20.7, 14.1, 16.1, 15.9, 11.2, 13.2, 15.9 (today). I am spotting a trend. I seem to loose a chunk of weight (which happens normally when I eat alot of protein and workout alot) and then when I cannot sustain it for very long I put weight back on.

My goal for the next month is to see how my body reacts to eating 2 meals a day of raw fruit and veggie smoothies, fruit, salads, raw nuts, and eating a normal dinner. During this time I am going to workout like I normally do: at least 2 times a week for an hour, and sometimes 4 days a week up to 2 hours (my workout schedule is sporadic though as my week days are busy busy and I like to take the weekends off). 

I started my new journal with all of my intentions for the day...keeping in mind that there is a famous saying about how "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". Crossing my fingers! I pre-made my morning smoothie so I could guzzle it down after I weigh-in. I am optimistic! Half the battle of actually being something is telling yourself that is what you are (optimistic). After a while your thoughts stop fighting what you are telling them and they fall in line.

My smoothie this morning was:

  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1/4 of a pineapple
  • 1 mango
  • coconut water (unflavored)
  • ice

It tastes so good actually that I think I am doing something wrong. Am I allowed to eat something that tastes like dessert for breakfast? Now this may seem like too much smoothie, but as I have experienced over the past few weeks I will drink half right away and the other half about 1 1/2-2 hours later. This smoothie happens to be 100% fruit, and I normally mix in veggies, however I have found that my taste buds do not like vegetables with citrus fruits. Below is the smoothie I made yesterday that was just as good as this morning's:

  • 1 red delicious apple
  • 1 peach
  • 2 ripe bananas 
  • handful spinach
  • handful collards
  • 1/2 cucumber
Now there are many people (doctors, my trainer, etc) that treat fruit sugar like regular refined table sugar. I do not believe this to be the case. First of all, when you eat the entire fruit (whole or in a smoothie) you are getting loads of soluble fiber (the flesh of the fruit) and insoluble fiber (the skins of the fruit). Fiber is super important for the health of your digestive tract, and it also slows the absorption of the sugar into the blood stream. All food breaks down into sugar (glucose), which is what the blood supplies to your cells to grow, maintain health, and repair themselves. What is important is the rate in which the sugar is absorbed into the blood stream. Fruit is a "simple sugar" no doubt, but it is not absorbed as fast as say a piece of white bread (NEVER EAT WHITE BREAD! and by the way all of those tasty loaves of Italian bread at restaurants are white bread). You also get many many nutrients from fruit that improve the health of every part of your body!!! 


If you are new to this way of eating and are interested in having a "PLAN" for cleansing your system I would suggest looking at Reboot Your Life. It is free and after you answer a few questions about yourself they give you a 15 day eating plan including some tasty looking recipes. (I have gotten to the point where I can look at a recipe and tell if it will be good or not- skillz!) As for me, I am going to wing it. I think I have enough smoothie skills at this point to be able to make a variety, and I am going to eat a healthy "regular" meal for dinner. Might need some assistance as I get further along, but for now I am all good!

On we go....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...