Monday, September 12, 2011

Ode to Sunday Night Comfort Food

Since I am challenging myself to eat smoothies for the first 2 meals of each day for the next month, I had to find a way to incorporate my favorite weekend breakfast food. The egg burrito.



I tried to find wraps that did not have hydrogenated oils or soy products in my local Stop & Shop, apparently they do not exist, and I did not feel like spending my Sunday afternoon on a hunt for tortilla wraps. SO I had to substitute with whole wheat w/ flax bread.

  • 3 farm eggs
  • 1 avocado (ripe ones are black and indent when poked)
  • 2 sml. bell pepper
  • 1 jalapeno pepper (optional)
  • 1 slice red onion
  • 2 slices whole wheat bread w/ flax seeds
  • organic butter
  • salt & pepper
This whole process probably took about 10 minutes, and if you are making this for yourself you could probably use a little less than what is above (I didn't finish everything), but in my case I was starving. Note: if you do not really know what it is like to be hungry (as most Americans do not) you will once you start eating strictly fruits and vegetables for majority of your diet. 

Beat the eggs, heat pan to medium, put bread in toaster, cut veggies, melt a tab of butter, cook eggs, spread butter on toast, and VOILA...



This meal is so satisfying on so many different levels. It's quick, healthy, has crunch and creamy, salty & spicy, hot and cold, veggies, carbs, protein, and fat. And yes I eat fat. Fat is necessary in our diets. 


A quick rant about the low fat crazy has damaged our views on eating: 
  • #1 The rates of obesity in this country directly correlate to the start of the "low fat is healthy" diet recommendations that were forced on us starting in the early 1980's by the USDA and nutritional scientists (because when you take out fat you substitute it with carbs).
  • #2 The science behind nutrition is in its infancy and not enough is known to successfully recommend a way for everyone to eat (i.e. their recommendation for everyone to eat less fat).
  • #3 Everyone is different, therefore I think the use of a food pyramid or plate is flawed in that some people do better with raw diets and others need more protein.
  • #4 Your body needs fat to perform certain functions. Your brain needs fat, breast milk is something like 50% saturated fat which is vital to the proper growth and development of children.
  • #5 Certain vitamins are fat soluble, which means that they need fat to be absorbed by our bodies (Vitamins A, D, E, and K). 
'nuff said! Try this egg sandwich out, it is really great for any meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...