Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I got my ears candled- what is that you ask?

that's not me if you are wondering
For over a year now I have been having problems with my ears. I went to an ear nose and throat doctor about a year ago to find out that I had an ear infection. So I took some meds and it cleared up enough to not be extremely aggravating. But the problem never really fully went away.  Long story short I was talking to my brother who suggested I get my ears candled. He apparently does it often and highly recommends it, so I booked an appointment at a spa for the first time because I didn't know what the hell I was doing or what to expect. I wanted to be in the room with an expert and ask questions (basically so I don't have to continue to pay $40 every time I want to clean my ears out). 


Well I was very skeptical about how I would feel afterward. I laid down on my side on the table and the esthetician cut a hole in a paper plate, stuck a long "candle" through it, and placed the tapered end in my ear. I'm not sure how far in it was, but it wasn't uncomfortable. She lit the candle and just let it burn for about 15-20 minutes on each side (and gave the best neck and head massage!- the only reason I would continue to pay to get it done). The only thing you hear is a faint crackling.


Since it was the first time I ever got it done, I naturally wanted to see all the earwax that has built up in my ears. HOLY S-H-I-T! I never imagined that amount of wax could be in a person's ear. I mean she cut the bottom 4+ inches off, unraveled it and I mean it was FULL of ear wax. It wasn't as gross as I thought it would be, just fascinating. 


When I got up from the table, I was like HOLY S-H-I-T! I can hear better! and I feel unclogged!!!!!!
I didn't feel anything in my ears after that. Like, I used to literally stick my fingers in my ears as far in as I could to "get the itch". It's literally gone! 


SO I just researched some benefits of regular ear candling:

  • improved mental clarity
  • relief from vertigo
  • in some cases, restoration of smell and taste
  • increased nail and hair growth
  • regulation of ear pressure
  • better lymphatic circulation
  • proper balancing of ear fluids 
  • balancing of fluids that provoke headaches
  • hygienic treatment of ear
  • activates proper ear fluid circulation
  • can eliminate tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
I'm hooked! The esthetician recommended that I do it at least 4 times a year at the change of season, but she said that a lot of her clients come in once a month. There is a danger in "obsessive-candling" (which I would be prone to). You need ear wax in your ears to protect from bacteria. If there is no wax, you have a better chance of bacteria invading your system through your ears. 

After you finish candling, apply some natural oils like olive, almond, eucalyptus, or coconut inside your ear with a q-tip to protect them for the first hour until your body starts producing its own ear wax again. 

Here is a video showing it in action...it's pretty simple and I would suggest everyone consider doing this. IF you need to talk to your doctor first. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...