Wednesday, May 16, 2012

FIBER, FIBER, FIBER!


Well it's been a long time since I've talked about bowel movements- and I have some more info for you guys about the subject. I've been taking fiber on and off for several years now. If you don't remember, or you weren't reading my blog last September, I have had issues with the fiber I was taking. After I realized that I was allergic to psyllium husk fiber (Metamucul) I switched to Citrucel which is a different type of fiber- but stopped taking that when I started consuming massive amounts of smoothies. Well, over the winter, when I stopped drinking smoothies because the thought of consuming something cold made me want to never get out of bed, I experienced a bout of constipation. It was then that I decided to find a "natural" fiber supplement. It dawned on me one day that the sugar free "orange flavored" fibers I was taking were loaded with chemicals and artificial sweeteners- which I am trying to avoid!

I did a quick search on Amazon (SIDENOTE: I buy everything on Amazon- for a little extra in shipping you can get everything delivered to you without taking the time or gas $$ to drive to the store.) and found Garden of Life's Super Seed Beyond Fiber.

Ingredients:

  • Organic Flax Meal
  • Whole Chia Seeds
  • Amaranth Sprout
  • Quinoa Sprout
  • Millet Sprout
  • Organic Buckwheat Sprout
  • Garbanzo Bean Sprout
  • Lentil Sprout
  • Adzuki Bean Sprout
  • Organic Flax Seed Sprout
  • Sunflower Seed Sprout
  • Organic Pumpkin Seed Sprout
  • Chia Seed Sprout
  • Organic Sesame Seed Sprout
  • plus a whole bunch of probiotics that I am not even going to try to spell out for you
I love how all of these are real foods! It is a little different drinking this stuff vs. the commercial brands like Metamucil and Citrucel. It kind of triggers your gag reflex if you don't mix it with enough water. But I'd rather choke this stuff down than be sitting on the toilet forever. Remember: HEMORRHOIDS ARE NOT PLEASANT OR ATTRACTIVE! 

For the best results, stir up the fiber in water and let it sit for a few minutes. This gives the chia seeds time to absorb the water and turn into a glue-like consistency. BONUS: Chia seeds (and other gelatinous plant foods like aloe) are important for detoxifying the body. They trap the toxins that are put into the colon by the liver and kidneys and carry them safely out of the body.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...