Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Is it really only Tuesday?

 
Since daylight savings over a week ago and the start of Christmas-Tree-Crunch-Time I have been in the twilight zone. I don't really know what day it is, and it constantly feels about 5 hours later than it really is. As soon as the sun goes down I am like 'I NEED TO GO TO BED!!!!' I don't actually though, it is just me being mental. I have to admit that for a really long time I was chronically exhausted (severely deficient in vitamin B12), while at the same time suffering from chronic anxiety. So naturally I became neurotic about getting enough sleep. I still have a little bit of that left over, but honestly I really don't suffer from either anymore (fatigue and anxiety- not being neurotic). So I need to constantly tell myself...'you will be fine...it is ok if you do not get enough sleep every night...stop worrying about always getting enough sleep....you can make it up tomorrow night'. 

Another part of the craziness is that I have literally been working and sleeping and working and sleeping and working. So I don't want to waste any time on extra cooking (because I need to shower and write). Today I tried to make raw granola bars. I basically did the exact same recipe as before (minus the butter). I just mixed everything in a big bowl, pressed it into a baking pan, and stuck it in the refrigerator (it took 3 minutes). I will let you know if it sets up right. I am thinking it might not because before I heated up butter with the syrup which I think is what makes it hard. TBD...

I am also pre-making my smoothies at night. I find that the last thing I have time for when I wake up at 5am is smoothies. One thing about the smoothies...the more I learn the more I think that it is much, much better to eat what is in season for your area. This brings up my smoothie selection. Until a few weeks ago I was pretty much buying everything that I like and smoothying. But I gave some thought as to what is in season right now. Pineapples certainly aren't, nor are mangoes- at least not in New Jersey. 

So I came up with two new smoothies that are fall-ish... 

Green
  • collards or Swiss chard
  • spinach
  • 2 green apples
  • frozen green grapes (buy fresh and freeze)
  • 1 pear
  • 1 banana (I know this doesn't grow in NJ but it is the exception)
  • water (to desired consistency)
Red
  • kale
  • spinach
  • 2 red apples
  • frozen cranberries (buy frozen)
  • carrots
  • strawberries, black berries, raspberries
  • frozen red grapes (buy fresh and freeze)
  • water (to desired consistency)
I highly suggest travel mugs if you are on-the-go. Even when I am not busy
I take use these to take my smoothies to work. (Unless you can drink
an entire blender-full in one sitting- I can't)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...