Friday, November 11, 2011

LEEKS: I figured them out


I have had this thing in my head about making soup with leeks for weeks. I don't know what it is. Tonight, I was finally successful. I know it is a Friday night, and normally I would be 2 1/2 sheets to the wind right now, but I have to work tomorrow. For the next 2 months Christmas trees will be my life (so I apologize in advance if my posts are not consistent. I have plenty of ideas, but not enough hours in the day (as usual). Anyway, back to leeks.
THE GUEST OF HONOR
Apparently, you only use the white part. I would have thought
differently had I not consulted with Google
I stopped at Whole Foods this evening after my monthly ass-raping at my car dealership (my car is starting to deteriorate faster and faster- needless to say I am getting a new one soon). I picked up some leeks, some wine, and some other really expensive things. I can't get out of there for under $50. **And by the way, if the powers-that-be at Whole Foods get wind of this I have some advice...if you would like us to recycle your paper bags, please make them sturdy enough to get my expensive shit from the checkout counter to my refrigerator without dumping out from the bottom of the bag. Thanks!


I had a head of cauliflower that I froze after a failed collard wrap attempt, because frankly I didn't know what I was going to do with a head of cauliflower since I have eaten in 1 in my life and I am not particularly fond of it. I used it as the base of the soup....in the blender it went with enough water to keep my (my roommate's) blender from exploding.

Then I Google'd what part of the leek to use since I have never actually eaten a leek. We planted them in our garden this past summer, and I assume they are still there. My dad kept asking me 'what the hell is a leek? and what are you going to do with it?' My answer was always 'they are really good in soup DAD!' Hahaahaha. I'm not sure if he knew I didn't know anything about leeks, but he does now!!!

So here is the recipe...

  • 1 head cauliflower (blended w/ water)
  • splish splash of white wine
  • 1 leek
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 cup organic veggie broth
  • 1/2 stick organic butter (yum!)
  • 2 potatoes (optional)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • thyme
  • sage
  • allspice (2 cloves)
Bring to a boil for 10 minutes, bring down to simmer for about 20 minutes. This is a fast recipe. I smelled it a few times and thought it was missing something. I have to admit it smelled a little funky ("You F'ed up ANOTHER pot of soup' was running through my mind. But...low and behold I tasted it and it was FANTASTIC!!! I kept wishing that I hadn't let my egg noodle supply drop down to zero because they would be perfect with this. 

Wine for the soup.
Wine for me!
Slice the leeks
Add a little broth.
You don't have to add potatoes but I have a ton so I thought I would.
Throw everything in, mix, and set temp to med-high.
YUMMMMMMMM!
Anyway, I wish I could feed it to my dad to show him what leeks are used for and that they taste (great).....BUT! He is 100% raw and has been for a few weeks now. (Clapping) This is a huge improvement from his daily trips to McDonald's only a few months ago. Keep going Dad!

Anyway, I highly suggest you try this soup...it is creamy and hearty and healthy!!!!! Have some drinks for me...off to sleep (and to try to ice this kink in my neck- STRESS!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...