Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The difference between eating raw foods, cooked foods, and processed foods.


Since experiencing many days of eating all raw foods over the past several months, I've had some time to reflect on the differences between eating raw foods, cooked foods, and processed foods. There are a few.

Raw means not cooked at all- fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouts.
Cooked means when I cooked my own food using whole grains, fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and spices.
Processed means I bought it at a store, restaurant, or fast food.

The first difference that I realized was that when I eat 100% raw foods I have zero problem with overeating. As soon as I am satisfied I am able to put the food down and I NEVER overeat. This is the same when I am eating salad, veggies and dip, or nuts. So the composition (carbohydrate, protein, fat) doesn't seem to make a difference. As long as it is not cooked I have no problem with overeating. When I cook my own food this is a little more of a problem, especially when the food is highly spiced. When I eat out or eat fast food (it's been months) I find myself never being satisfied and always want to eat more- especially when I ate Mc Donald's.

The second is that I don't actually feel the raw foods in my stomach. This is a weird thing to try to describe but when I am satisfied on raw foods I don't feel anything. When I am satisfied on cooked food I can feel the food in my stomach, and forget it with fast food- my stomach is varying degrees of upset.

The third thing I notice is that when I eat raw foods I don't have that it's-2 pm-just-ate-a-huge-lunch-and-now-I'm-ready-for-a-nap-feeling. I have so much more energy when I eat raw foods and even when I eat mostly raw with a little cooked or processed mixed in. When I eat a meal of all cooked foods I get a little tired afterwards, and when I eat heavily processed foods that is when I feel like I need to take a nap.

And probably the best response I have noticed is that when I eat mostly raw I consistently lose weight. When I eat mostly cooked/processed foods I gain weight. It's like flipping a switch.

RAW- lose weight
COOKED- gain weight

So, I'm still constantly trying new ways of eating raw, and trying to be as raw as possible as often as possible because I definitely feel a difference. But sometimes life gets in the way, and I feel the need to eat like a "normal" person.

Slow and steady wins the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...