Monday, June 11, 2012

My new obsession with dehydrating


Last Friday I set up the dehydrator we purchased for Raw Generation and started testing it out. So far I've made apple chips and fruit leather. Both were pretty successful! I still have a ton of apples left over from the last juicing batch we did a week or two back. Lucky for me apples last forever, because there is no way otherwise that I could finish them all before they spoiled. The dehydrator is perfect for this!!! Hence the apple chips and fruit leather made with apples.

BEFORE
AFTER
And fruit leather! It's a little weird different, but it's a healthy option for a fruit roll up (great for the kiddies!). If any of you are interested in adding more raw foods into your diet, a dehydrator can be a great appliance to buy. 
BEFORE
AFTER

So here's the deal with fruit leather. It's really simple. You take whatever fruit you have, put it in a food processor or blender, blend it into mush, add a little water if necessary, spread it on a dehydrator tray w/ liner, and a few hours later you have fruit leather! I made two different kinds- apple w/ cranberry and apple w/ lime and cardamom spice. I lightly sweetened the apple cranberry with raw agave because cranberries are very tart. I didn't sweeten the apple lime which I think was a little mistake. Also, cardamom is a very different flavor and it's very strong...I think I used too much of it. All in all pretty good for the first shot!

Next up... raw crackers and what do I do with all of the vegetable pulp we have from the juices?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...