Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Dinner: Part Duex


On to the main course...fish or duck? That is the question. I initially thought duck would go best with this meal, however went against my gut and made fish because it would be lighter... it wasn't a huge mistake, but I really just think that duck or something like roast pork would tie all of the flavors together.

Stuffed Wild Cod

  • 1 filet per person, the thinner the better
  • 1 pkg spinach per person
  • olive oil
  • minced garlic
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In large pan, medium heat, warm olive oil.
  3. Add in garlic, and saute for a minute.
  4. Add in spinach. Cover and let cook down, stirring once or twice.
  5. Remove spinach from heat and drain.
  6. Lay fillets on a baking sheet covered w/ tin foil
  7. Spread spinach over entire fillet
  8. Roll up and place in casserole dish (they will produce quite a bit of liquid)
  9. Bake for 30 minutes.

Roast Duck (serves 2-4)

While I have done this before, it has been a while...so here is a gal who has pretty detailed instructions (with lots of pictures!) ...please find directions at The Hungry Mouse. She has some other tricks for saving the fat too, but if you just want to roast a duck the instructions are there. (I would personally do it without the glaze she uses, but that's just me.)

Artichoke Salad (serves 4)
  • 2 cans artichoke hearts
  • 1 bunch arugula
  • 1 container crumbled goat cheese
  • 1/4 red onion
  • 1 head endive (optional)
  1. Chop artichoke, arugula, and onion.
  2. Mix in bowl with goat cheese.
  3. Serve w/ endive or by itself.
salad in the endive..finger food
the salad plated
or...the salad served buffet style
(I'm glad I got such great pics in this bowl b/c I broke it
loading it into the dishwasher :(
Cranberry Sauce (serves 4)
  • 1 bag cranberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1 1/2 red apple (gala or honey crisp)
  • 1 tsp. cinamon
  • 3 pinches cardamom (optional)
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  1. Put all in food processor or blender and blend. That's it! No cooking necessary.

This is cardamom.
Cardamom is used quite a bit in Indian & Ayurvedic cooking. I bought it a while back b/c I thought it was interesting, but never knew what to do with it. Until now! Both cardamom and cranberries have an astringent flavor so I thought it went well. WATCH OUT! Cardamom is very strong so you only need a couple pinches to get the full effect of the flavor. 

After finding out that my favorite jellied cranberry sauce was LOADED with high fructose corn syrup I decided that I better figure out how to make a substitute. This was stupid simple- PERFECT!

Tomorrow night... dessert :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...