Friday, April 13, 2012

5 WAYS: Salad Dressing

(Source)
So salad dressing is one of those things that I think many people don't really think about making because it is so easy to buy. But I promise you that once you start making your own salad dressings you will never want to go back. It is so easy, probably cheaper, and definitely healthier for you.

Most salad dressings are made with soybean oil. I go into why I don't eat soy in This "Health" Food's SOYld Reputation and Just SOY No.

One important thing to remember is to use "first cold pressed" olive oil. This comes from the first pressing of the olives and it is the best kind. Also, I use a blender/mini food processor to make my salad dressings (especially the creamy ones). I find that it just blends everything up better.

Creamy Peppercorn
  • olive oil
  • cashews, raw 
  • apple cider vinegar, raw 
  • lemon juice
  • cracked peppercorns

Honey Vinaigrette
  • olive oil
  • apple cider vinegar, raw 
  • honey, raw
  • sea salt & pepper

Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette
  • olive oil
  • balsamic vinegar
  • honey, raw
  • cashews, raw

Honey Mustard
  • olive oil
  • apple cider vinegar, raw
  • honey, raw
  • mustard seeds
  • cashews, raw

Herb Vinaigrette
  • olive oil
  • apple cider vinegar, raw
  • sea salt & pepper
  • fresh or dried herbs: sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, garlic
You can basically add raw cashews to any salad dressing and make it creamy. I usually do some different variation of the ones above depending on what I feel like but it is so simple!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...